Saturday, August 24, 2013

Egypt - May 2010

In May 2010, I spent eight days in Egypt. Probably there is no need for me to expound on the tremendous historical significance and natural beauty of this country. The unrest and upheaval that occurred within the country starting in 2011 had not yet started at the time of my visit. A company named Misr Travel (Misr is the Arabic name for Egypt) arranged travel within the country for me and some family members I was with. Having excellent tour guides was a tremendous advantage for travel within this part of the world. I saw Cairo and environs, and Luxor and Aswan, and was also on a Nile River cruise between the latter two cities, stopping at various points (including many temples and historic sights) along the way. This itinerary required internal flights from Cairo to Aswan, and then later, from Luxor back to Cairo. I also saw Alexandria from the air, as my plane was departing Egypt to the northwest when it was time to go home.


Myself at the Giza Pyramids near Cairo, a site I had always longed to visit.These pyramids were the tallest man-made structures on earth for thousands of years.













The Sphinx, with the Giza Pyramids in the background, near Cairo.












Myself standing at the edge of the Sahara Desert.












View of the huge urban expanse of Cairo. Weather there during my stay was excellent - sunny, and highs in the 80s - but a few days before my arrival the highs had been in the low 100s, so I was lucky.








Scenery near Aswan.













View from the Red Pyramid, about 30 miles south of central Cairo. You can climb part of the way up this pyramid.









Egyptian freeway sign.












Typical scenery visible along the Nile River between Aswan and Luxor.











Ruins of Luxor Temple.
















Nile River scenery visible from the river cruise boat just north of Aswan.












Myself standing near Aswan Dam.












Queen Hatshepsut's Temple near Luxor.









 


Step Pyramid (Pyramid of Djoser) near Cairo.












Temple of Edfu in southern Egypt.












View of Cairo from the airplane.



























No comments:

Post a Comment