Wednesday, August 21, 2013

U.S.- Southwest - March 2012

In March 2012, I traveled for a week to the Four Corners region of the southwestern United States, also extending my trip into Nevada so I could taken in Las Vegas as well. Anyone who has been to the Colorado Plateau region (which roughly centers on the Four Corners region also) will know what I am talking about when I describe the glorious scenery to be seen in this area. Some areas, in my opinion, are simply unique, there is nothing like them elsewhere in the world, at least that I have been able to find. In fact, the reddish alien beauty of some areas - especially southern Utah - is more reminiscent of Mars than anywhere else on Earth.
I visited all five national parks of Utah (Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, and Zion), plus Mesa Verde National Park in Colorado, plus the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument in southern Utah, not far from Capitol Reef. I will let my pictures describe the splendor of what I saw.


The actual Four Corners monument. This is recognized as the real, actual borders of Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico. I stood in four states at once.









The so-called Shiprock in northwestern New Mexico.












Scenery at Arches National Park, Utah.












Unusual rock and arch formations in Arches National Park.











Scenery at Canyonlands National Park, Utah.












Myself standing at the visitor center for Capitol Reef National Park. This park is less visited than the other Utah national parks, but that is surprising, because it is absolutely spectacular.









Scenery at Capitol Reef National Park.











Multicolored rock hues at Capitol Reef National Park













Alien, rugged, beautiful scenery at Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument in southern Utah. The highway that runs through this region - route 89 - is widely regarded as a top-notch scenic drive.









Scenery at Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah.












"Sliprock" scenery at Zion National Park, Utah.












Canyon and vertical rock scenery at Zion National Park.











Scenery at Mesa Verde National Park near Cortez, Colorado.











What a change-  going from the natural splendor of the national parks to the hustle and bustle of Las Vegas! This is an aerial view of the Strip, as I was on a plane taking off from McCarran International Airport, which is very close to the Strip.

No comments:

Post a Comment