Monday, August 19, 2013

England - March 2013

In March, 2013, I visited England, this was the fifth trip to Great Britain in my lifetime, with the various trips overlapping somewhat but in general, covering different areas of the country. In this trip, I saw mainly things I had seen on past trips, including Bath, Oxford, Stonehenge, London, and the Cotswold region. I always love to visit England. However, this trip featured something my previous trips didn't - very cold, damp, windy weather with occasional snow. Only the day I arrived was relatively mild - in the 40s. The rest of the time it was mainly in the 30s, and a raw damp ever-present wind made sure that every time I stepped outside, I was just chilled to the bone. Temperatures were probably 20 or more degrees below normal for early spring. But I made the most of it. A lot of what I saw could be appreciated from the indoors, anyway (museums, castles, and churches, for example). 

Typical British countryside near Bath. Green fields and hedgerows are everywhere, along with quaint farmhouses.










Town of Castle Combe, in the Cotswold region. The charm of this town is typical of the region













Interior of cathedral in Bath, England
















Ancient spa in Bath, England, with the cathedral in the background.














Dusting of snow at New College in Oxford













Radcliffe Camera in Oxford
















Tower Bridge in London. This is one of many sights I saw on an extensive bus tour through the city.











Tower of London, of course a highly recognizable landmark along the river Thames.

Myself in the ancient village of Lacock, near Bath.
















Center of London, as seen from a tour bus.
















No comments:

Post a Comment