Saturday, August 24, 2013

France - March 2007 and March 2009

In March 2007 and March 2009, I traveled to northern France for nearly one week each time. Most of my time focused on Paris, but the 2007 trip had an excursion to Chartres, and the 2009 one to Versailles. I did the usual tourist stops. These trips were, respectively, my second and third trips to Paris (though admittedly it had been a long time since my first visit), so I knew what to expect and what sights I wanted to see again.


Of course everyone recognizes this structure! - this view of the Eiffel Tower was taken facing south.














View from the first (lowest) observation deck of the Eiffel Tower - this was as high as I went.












Seine River view with Ile de la Cite (where Notre Dame Cathedral is located) at left.










Arc de Triomphe on the Champs-Elysees. taken from underneath the arch looking up.











Parisian train station, with the local train that went from central Paris to Versailles.












Hall of Mirrors at Versailles.











Grounds at Versailles, taken from inside the palace.












Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris.












Myself in Chartres with the famous cathedral in the background.











Sainte Chappelle, located on Ile de la Cite in Paris. This church has some amazing stained glass windows.










Tomb of Napoleon Bonaparte, located at Les Invalides in the 7th arrondissement (district) of Paris. Les Invalides is a complex of museums and monuments having to do with the military history of France.
















No comments:

Post a Comment