Sunday, August 25, 2013

New Zealand/ Australia - April 1998

In April 1998, combining a conference of a relative with much pleasure travel, I journeyed to New Zealand for a week, and the east coast of Australia for another week. This was my first visit to New Zealand, and my second to Australia. The New Zealand itinerary began at Auckland in the north, where I flew into, and there followed a one-way rental car trip headed south, all the way to Christchurch, visiting Mt. Maunganui, Rotorua, Taupo, Wellington, Picton, and Kaikoura along the way. I took the 3-hour ferry ride from Wellington in order to get to South Island. As the pictures show, there was great scenery and wildlife along the way. I then flew to Sydney where I spent most of the next week, with a day's excursion to Port Stephens about 100 miles to the north, along the coast. From Sydney it was a 13-hour plane ride to Los Angeles (the longest plane ride I had been on, up to that point in my life) and at LA I boarded my connecting flight home.

Highly active geothermal area on North Island, New Zealand, near Rotorua. Notice the steam vents emanating from the ground. I took a hike in this area, and there were lots of geothermal pools around me.









Mt. Maunganui on North Island, with its namesake beach in the foreground. This is a popular retirement and vacation area for New Zealanders, especially those from Auckland and the north, since the climate here is very good.








Sheep far outnumber people in New Zealand, I believe. This photo was taken on South Island.











Typical rugged North Island scenery visible on the way from Taupo to Wanganui.












Seal basking in the evening sunshine on a beach near Kaikoura, South Island, New Zealand.












"Beehive" government building in Wellington, New Zealand (North Island).
Scenery visible on the ferry ride from Wellington to Picton, New Zealand.












Scenery near Kaikoura, South Island, New Zealand. I was supposed to go on a whale watch cruise here, but it was canceled due to high winds.











Cathedral in Christchurch, New Zealand. In the years since my visit, this church has unfortunately been damaged by an earthquake. New Zealand is very seismically active.








Ohau Point seal colony, visible along Route 1 between Picton and Kaikoura. I was just driving along and happened to see it, much to my delight. It was definitely worth a stop!










Colorful scene at the center of Christchurch. Note the trees changing color in the photo - April is mid-autumn in New Zealand. One does not see much seasonal change in the north, but there is some in the south. Christchurch is about as far south as Boston is to the north (42 degrees latitude). In the Southern Hemisphere, there is very little land at this latitude - mostly it's ocean.







International Antarctic Center in Christchurch, New Zealand. Seeing this made me wish I could find a flight to Antarctica, and see that continent as well. But this was unrealistic on several fronts. For one thing, it was April and the Antarctic winter was setting in, with its -80 degree temperatures!







This is a sheep I encountered on South Island - he is staring at me as if to ask, what in the world are you doing here.











Route 1 highway mileage sign (actually, kilometers) heading south from Picton, New Zealand.














Sydney Opera House, Australia. I saw a concert here during my stay.











The world-famous Sydney Harbour Bridge.












One of many koala bears I saw at Pennant Hills Park in Sydney.










 Kangaroo at Pennant Hills Park, Sydney.














No comments:

Post a Comment